- Register for 2013-14 Kindergarten on Jan. 29, Have Chance for Free Jumpstart to Kindergarten Class
- Area Budget Meetings Scheduled for January
- Parkway Makes College Board AP Honor Roll
- Introducing Peanut Butter Alternative, SunButter
- Parkway Recognizes 58 National Merit & Achievement Students
- Congratulations, National Board Certified Teachers
- Two Positions Open on Parkway School Board
- All-District High School Career Fair Coming Feb. 20
- Recycle Holiday Lights & Help Feed the Hungry
- Parkway Joins List of EPA ENERGY STAR Leaders
- eNews Home
Parkway e-News Story
Area Budget Meetings Scheduled for January
Parkway parents, staff and community members are invited to attend any of a series of meetings to review a draft list of budget reductions. For convenience, one meeting will be held at each area high school; however, all will have the same content and are open to anyone. Meetings are from 7-9 p.m. on the dates and at locations listed below:
- Jan. 14 - North High
- Jan. 24 - West High
- Jan. 28 - South High
- Jan. 31 - Central High
Overall, Parkway's budget is much stronger today thanks in part to last year's $8 million in cuts. But in order to balance future budgets and restore fund balances to the required levels, an additional modest reduction will be required. Based on current projections, Parkway needs to reduce an additional 1 to 2 percent ($2 to $4 million) from the operating budget beginning with the 2013-14 school year.
Building administrators brainstormed ideas with staff members for possible reductions and an initial list of ideas was presented to a district-wide budget team. The team consists of teachers, administrators and support staff. Using guiding principles established in 2011, the budget team will bring forward initial recommendations to the superintendent and school board. A draft list of recommendations will then be presented to the public for feedback in January.
After making any adjustments necessary based on community input, the school board will vote on the final recommendations early next year. Additional background information can be found on www.ParkwaySchools.net in the latest eNewsletter.