- Last Day May 27; Summer School Registration Ongoing
- Honor a Special Teacher with PAA Thank You Card
- Summer Reading Lists Online
- New Board Members and Officers Sworn In
- New Principals & Administrators for 2011-12 Announced
- No Increase in Meal Prices for 2011-12
- Episode Three of Mission: Possible! Video Released
- Grab Your Clubs for the 16th Annual Parkway Golf Tournament
- 10th Annual Jazz Concert to Raise Money, Grant Dreams
- Relay for Life West County--Registration Open Now
- eNews Home
Parkway e-News Story
10th Annual Jazz Concert to Raise Money, Grant Dreams
An annual jazz concert commemorating the life and career of Parkway West High band teacher Dr. John Baker will take place from 7-9:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 2, at the Sky Music Lounge, 930 Kehrs Mill Rd. in Ballwin (in the Barn at Lucerne at the corner of Kehrs Mill and Clayton roads).
Dr. Baker was the band director at West High from 1978-1994. Every year since his death in 2001, “The Faculty and Friends Big Band,” a group made up of colleagues, friends and former students, performs a tribute concert to honor his memory.
“He is remembered for his passion for music, dedication to and belief in his students, high expectations and laughter,” said Drew Davis, who plays in the Faculty and Friends Big Band and is also band director at Southwest Middle School.
Admission for the concert is a $10 minimum donation at the door. Proceeds will go to the John Baker Scholars Fund, which benefits band students through the Parkway Alumni Association’s (PAA) Granting Dreams Program. All donations are tax-deductible. Granting Dreams provides students with educational opportunities above and beyond the scope of the classroom. To date, the PAA has awarded over $200,000 in monetary grants and filled 100+ community resource grants.
To learn more, visit www.parkwayalumni.org.