- The Power of the Word "Yet"
- Preparing for Snow Days
- Dine Out in December for Parkway
- Three Positions Open on School Board
- Parkway Receives Highest Award on Audit
- Parkway Teachers Win Emerson Award
- Who Should Be in the Parkway Hall of Fame?
- West High Swim Program Headed to Hall of Fame
- Teacher in Afghanistan Gets 55 Boxes from Central High Students
- eNews Home
Parkway e-News Story
West High Swim Program Headed to Hall of Fame
The Parkway West swim program (boys and girls) has been selected for induction into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame in Springfield, MO. WHS is only the fourth high school program inducted into the Hall and the first from the St. Louis area. The induction ceremony is Saturday, January 26 in Springfield.
Since opening its doors in 1968, the boys and girls swimming programs of Parkway West have earned an incredible 23 state championships, roughly two-thirds of the school’s state titles from all sports combined. With their first accolades coming in the 1974-75 school year, the Longhorn swimmers have also racked up 29 conference championships, 32 conference tournament titles and six district crowns.
In all, West High has averaged taking home 2.6 championships per season since winning their first in 1975. To their credit, the Longhorns also have five state runner-up titles and six third place state finishes. A balanced school effort, the boys' teams have garnered 54 championships, while the girls have accounted for 47.