- Parents: New State Exams to Count for Grades
- Do You Know a 2009 Pillar of Parkway?
- Budding Scientist from Central High Scores Big, Wins $75,000!
- Learn About Board Candidates, Vote April 7
- West High Student is State Runner-up in Poetry Out Loud Contest
- Parkway has Eight of Missouri's Top 100 Scholars
- Two Parkway Students Receive State Citizenship Award
- Six Flags Deals!
- Students' Work Featured at Parkway Film Festival
- Parents Invited to Learn From Noted Math Author
- Ten Students from Parkway Named to Missouri Scholars Academy
- eNews Home
Parkway e-News Story
West High Student is State Runner-up in Poetry Out Loud Contest
Allegra Merriweather, from Parkway West High School, was named runner-up in the state finals of the 2009 Poetry Out Loud contest in Jefferson City recently. Allegra represented the St. Louis area as a regional winner. She performed “the mother” by Gwendolyn Brooks and “Thoughtless Cruelty” by Charles Lamb.
Poetry Out Loud is a national arts education program that encourages the study of great poetry by offering educational materials and a dynamic recitation competition to high schools across the country. The Poetry Out Loud State Contest is a collaboration of the National Endowment for the Arts; the Poetry Foundation; the Missouri Arts Council, a division of the Missouri Department of Economic Development; Missouri Department of Elementary & Secondary Education; and Capital Arts.