- Celebrating a Very Good Year!
- Parkway Plans Pilot for Students to Bring Electronic Devices to School
- Child Care Options for Delayed Start Days
- Summer Reading Lists Online
- Online Report Cards Next Year for Middle and High School Students
- Parkway Book Sale Has Great Buys for Readers
- Parkway to Install Rooftop Solar Panels
- Parkway Students Show Off Chesterfield Chairs at June 2 Event
- eNews Home
Parkway e-News Story
Celebrating a Very Good Year!
Recognized for having some of America’s best high schools, having “what parents want,” students with perfect ACT scores, a National School of Character, Missouri state champions and many more distinctions, Parkway schools, students and staff have a lot of things to celebrate from the 2011-12 school year! Check out the list of accomplishments and find links to some of the year’s biggest news stories below.
- Parkway has “What Parents Want” - Parkway is one of only 29 of 523 Missouri school districts receiving national recognition from SchoolMatch, a firm specializing in rating K-12 schools across the country.
- America’s Best High Schools – Parkway Central, North, South and West high schools made it to Newsweek Magazine’s rankings of America’s Best High Schools. In addition, Parkway Central High and West High received Silver Medals in the U.S. News & World Report America's Best High Schools ranking. West High was ranked among the top 10 schools in Missouri. All four Parkway high schools exceeded U.S. News’ college readiness index standards.
- Perfect ACT scores – Juniors Leela Chapman of South High and Henry Chen of Central High, both scored a perfect 36 – the highest possible score –on the ACT college admissions and placement exam in April.
- National Merit Finalists - Twenty-four Parkway students were named semifinalists through the National Merit Scholarship Program. Of those, 23 students went on to become finalists and 16 earned National Merit scholarships, with more to be announced in July 2012.
- National School of Character – Ross Elementary was recenly named a 2012 National School of Character. The award comes from the Character Education Partnership in Washington D.C.
- National Spelling Bee Semifinalist – Claymont fifth-grader Gokul Venkatachalam advanced to the semifinal rounds of the National Spelling Bee in Washington D.C. and is among the top 50 spellers in the country.
- Missouri State Champions – Six students were individual state champions in swimming, tennis, track, wrestling and speech oratory. Team state champs included the West High water polo team and policy debate duo.
- Distinction in Performance – Parkway was one of a handful of area school districts honored for receiving the state's “Distinction in Performance for High Achievement” designation for 11 consecutive years – since its inception.
- Class of 2012 Scholarship Awards – Parkway graduated 1,462 seniors who earned more than $34 million in scholarship awards. This includes164 graduates eligible for the state's A+ program who earned almost $866,000 toward tuition at any Missouri community college or public career-technical school.
- Science STARS – Twenty-one students representing all four Parkway high schools were selected for the Students and Teachers as Research Scientists (STARS) summer program at the University of Missouri-St. Louis (UMSL). The program pairs students with top research mentors from UMSL, the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, Saint Louis University, Washington University in St. Louis and the Solae Company. There are 82 participants from 33 high schools in the St. Louis metro area, as well as California, Florida, Illinois, Iowa and Greece.
- Excellence in Financial Reporting – For the 11th straight year, Parkway has earned a Certificate of Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Association of School Business Officials International.