- Parents: Are you Prepared for School Closings?
- Results are In! Board Approves Leadership Profile for Next Superintendent
- Teaching Communication Arts in 2010
- Kids Voting Goes Paperless, Tries Early Voting
- West High's Marching Band Wins First Place!
- Scouting for Food Nov. 13 & 20
- It's Fall: Time for Parkway Craft Fairs!
- South High Nike Sportswear Sale is Back!
- You're Invited--Celebrate Alumni Hall of Famers!
- Help Parkway Win $250,000 for Solar Power
- eNews Home
Parkway e-News Story
West High's Marching Band Wins First Place!
For the first time since 1999, the Parkway West High marching band won first place in their division at the Greater St. Louis Marching Band Festival. They also swept all three categories winning outstanding music, visual and general effect.
The band competition is the closest equivalent to a state championship for marching bands, attracting teams from Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas and Illinois. The event was held October 24, at the Edward Jones Dome.
“We are all very proud of these students,” said Ben Pyatt, band director. They represent the best of what West High has to offer -- great attitudes, discipline, strong leadership, passion and commitment to excellence.” Pyatt credits the success of the band to dedicated students, supportive and hard-working parents and a great staff of instructors.
The band performed to music written by Frank Sullivan to accompany Edgar Allan Poe’s poem “The Raven.” The band decorated the field with gravestones and screens showing spooky silhouettes and incorporated them into their presentation.