- Listen to Project Parkway Podcasts
- Parents to Begin Signing Up for Infinite Campus
- Ready to Read this Summer?
- Parkway Students Win National Marketing Honors
- Southwest Middle Students Win in Literature
- Central High Students Place in Missouri Speech & Debate
- West High Students get National Press Awards
- Student Awards for Theater, Chess, Personal Finance Challenge
- Alumni Hall of Fame Candidates
- eNews Home
Parkway e-News Story
Student Awards for Theater, Chess, Personal Finance Challenge
HIGH SCHOOL THEATER AWARDS GO TO CENTRAL HIGH
The Parkway Central Theatre Department recently won 6 St. Louis regional “Cappies” awards. The awards are given through the “Critics and Awards Program” for high school theater and journalism students. Students are trained as critics, attend shows at other schools, write and publish reviews, and vote for winners each year.
Parkway Central students, directed by teachers Nicole Voss (drama) and Winifred Crock (music), were nominated for 21 awards. The 2009 Cappie winners are:
- Best Musical - "Oklahoma"
- Lead Actor in a Play - Grant Harris in "The Elephant Man"
- Featured Actor in a Play - Jake Rubin in "The Elephant Man"
- Comic Actor in a Musical - Alon Gilboa in "Oklahoma"
- Female Dancer - Jocelyn Green in "Oklahoma"
- Best Set - Julia Levine, Maddie Frank, Sarah Petroff for "Oklahoma"
PARKWAY STUDENTS WIN STATE CHESS AWARDS
Brad Schlosser, a junior at
Margaret Hua, a Pierremont Elementary fifth grader, was the 1st place winner in her age group of the 2009 Polgar Playoff Tournament and is Missouri's representative at the 2009 Susan Polgar National Invitational for Girls.
CENTRAL HIGH STUDENTS WIN PERSONAL FINANCE CHALLENGE
Parkway Central High School team members Stan Chiang, Ashwath Sampath, Brad Schlosser and Charlie Yuan won 1st place in the 2009 St. Louis Regional Personal Finance Challenge. The Missouri Personal Finance Challenge is a competition for students in grades 9-12 from public, private, charter, or home schools in Missouri to demonstrate their knowledge of personal finance economics. Parkway Central’s team, with the leadership of teacher Bina Shah, won 1st place in the state challenge in 2008.