Board of Education
- Mission, Vision & Learning Principles
- Board Members
- Meeting Summaries/Video Archives
- Meeting Dates
- Meeting Agendas
(BoardDocs Web site)
- District Policies
- Project Parkway
- Meetings Live on Streaming Video
455 N. Woods Mill Road
Chesterfield, MO 63017
Phone (314) 415-8100
Board of Education
Board Report for April 11, 2012
School Board Election Results: Unofficial results of the Parkway Board of Education election show that Kim Appelbaum (no relation to board member Tom Appelbaum) and incumbent Beth Feldman were elected to the two open positions on the board, each for a three-year term.
Results are as follows:
Beth Feldman: 6,196 (35.3 pct)
Helen Casteel: 4,977 (28.4 pct)
Kim Appelbaum: 6,237 (35.5 pct)
Write-In: 134 (.76 pct)
The board elected Beth Feldman as board president and Dee Mogerman as vice president.
The following Parkway seniors have elected to join the United States military. They are as follows:
Darreal Boykin - Marines
Samantha Clark - Air Force
William Foster - Marines
Marcus Holmes - Navy
Martinae Wilkerson - Air Force
Patrick Baginski – Marines
Gabrielle Evans - Navy
Markese Leonard - Marines
Jake Lewis - Navy
Paul Shabel - Marines
Joran Straub - Navy
Chad Wolfe - Army
Anna Yahnke - Navy
Steven Emde - Naval Academy
Mark Krebs - Coast Guard Academy
Mrs. Helen Casteel; 13276 Windygate Lane, St. Louis, Mo 63146: Mrs. Casteel thanked the citizens who have voted for her for the last two terms and those who voted in the recent election.
• Week of the Young Child – April 22-28
• Public School Volunteer Week – April 15-21
• Administrative Professionals’ Week – April 22-28
• Administrative Professionals’ Day – April 25
• Holocaust Remembrance Day – April 19
• National School Principals’ Day – May 1
• National Physical Education and Sports Week – May 1-7
• National Teacher Appreciation Week – May 6-12
• National Teacher Appreciation Day – May 8
Mr. Paul Tandy, director of communications informed the board that Parkway and the Rockwood School District plan to explore a Community Education Partnership.
Mr. Kirchhofer announced the following personnel items: Mr. Nathan Tyson has been named the director of data management and research; Mr. Kevin Beckner as coordinator of student assessment; Lori Maddox as assistant principal at South High; Michelle Thompson, assistant principal at South High; Darryl Diggs assistant principal at South High; and Dr. Crag Maxwell as principal at Southwest Middle.
Dr. Bonnie Maxey announced that Robert Villigram has been named assistant principal at Carman Trails.
Board Liaison Reports
• Mr. Major thanked Oak Brook Principal, Mr. Chris Shirley and Assistant Principal Kevin Helton and Mrs. Charlotte Ijei for and outstanding job handing the tragedy over Spring Break.
• Mrs. Feldman thanked the Parkway staff for their generous contributions of $14,695 to the Arts & Education Council annual fund.
• Dr. Sciortino thanked Mr. Jacob for his service as board president.
• Mr. Appelbaum informed the board that the fifth-graders in MOSAICS academy at Pierremont won first place in NASA’s national contest to design a game for Astronauts at the International Space Station.
Consent Action Items
Approval of Minutes: Regular, March 14, 2012; Approval of Personnel Matters; Approval of Checks and Wire Transfers for the Weeks of March 16, 23, and April 6, 2012; Approval of Financial Reports: February 2012; Approval of Policy GBEBE.BP, Electronic Use; Approval of Agreement with CWA; Approval of Purchase of Edline District Calendar and Content Management Applications; Floor Covering Services - New Installation, Renovations, and/or Repairs at Various Locations - Bid No. 12-120 - 3 Year Contract; Carpet Materials at Various Locations, Bid No. 12-121 - 3 Year Contract; Gymnasium Floor Refinishing at Parkway North High School and Parkway West High School Bid No. 12-128; Approval of Purchase of Non-fiction Tradebooks for Elementary Science Units; Approval of Scientists in Residence Grant Program Purchases and Consultant; Approval of Subscription of Discovery Science K-5 and 6-8; Approval of Purchase of Reading Assessments for Elementary Communication Arts; Approval of Purchase of Irrigation Parts and Service; Approval of Purchase of Grass Seed and Lawn Chemicals; Approval of Purchase of Fire Extinguishers and Services; Approval of Purchase of Doors and Hardware; Approval of Exinda Internet Control Appliance; Approval of CIPA Internet Filter Annual Renewal Maintenance; Approval of Contract with Coca Cola; Approval of Professional Services – Franklin Covey Training
Mr. Steve VanMater, director of technology and Mr. Tom Swoboda, coordinator of Instructional Technology presented the Technology Plan for 2012-2015.
Dr. Denise Pupillo, coordinator of gifted presented an evaluation of the Gifted Program.
The report on the Goal 2 update by Dr. Denise Pupillo, coordinator of gifted and Mr. Toby McQuerrey, coordinator of social studies was postponed to a future meeting.
Call for Executive Session: May 2, 2012
Future Board of Education Meetings
Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at Central Middle School at 7:30 p.m.